Aerial maps, exemption tax,
personal and real property
valuations, plat books
Central purchasing, accounts
payable, maintains general
ledger for county
Property tax payments, County
Merchant's License, tax receipts
Road and bridge maintenance,
courthouse maintenance, budget
Planning and Zoning
Elections, voter registration, bids, liquor license,
auctioneer license, Fictitious Name application,
genealogy, county maps, MO sales tax ID
Prosecutes criminal cases,represents Johnson
County in all legal matters
Guardianship/conservator ship duties,
representative for decedents where no will was
Marriage license, deeds, legal descriptions,
income and sales tax liens, military discharge,
Receipting, disbursing and investing funds for
the county, records for grants and
reimbursements held by Johnson County
Emergency Services, disaster planning,
Employment policies, employee
applications, employee benefits,
job descriptions, personnel records
ROAD AND BRIDGE DEPT
County road repair, and bridge repair as
specified by County Commissioners.
JOHNSON COUNTY MO COURTS
See our contact details and location.
Application for Employment
County of Johnson
Current Job Openings
Road and Bridge Concerns Form
US House of Representatives
Secretary of State Website
MO House of Representatives
Voter Outreach Program
Missouri Association of Counties
Missouri Dept. of Conservation
Care Connection Serv. for Aging
Johnson Co. Community Health
Johnson County United Way
Mil. Airport Zoning Commission
JOCO Economic Development
Johnson Co. Water District Map
Johnson County was established on December 13, 1834, when it separated from Lafayette County. Johnson County, named for R.M. Johnson, a Kentucky senator and later vice president, which as of 2006 has an estimated population of 50,646. There are seven municipalities located in Johnson County: Centerview, Chilhowee, Holden, Kingsville, Knob Noster, Leeton and Warrensburg, which is the county seat. Communities that no longer qualify as incorporated towns, but are still recognized on our county maps include: Burtville, Columbus, Cornelia, Dunksburg, Elm, Ernestville, Fayetteville, Latour, Magnolia, Medford, Montserrat, Owsley, Pittsville, Post Oak, Rose Hill, Slab Town and Sutherland.
The original Courthouse is now a part of the Johnson Co. Historical Society.
"The courthouse was created in 1896. A year later, the $175 sculpture was mounted on its dome along with two smaller sculptures of Justice. The figure originally held a staff topped by a gold ball, in her proper right hand. At the time the figure was erected, there was a ongoing debate about whether the United States should abandon the gold standard and allow the free coinage of silver. The gold-colored ball angered the majority of Democrats who favored the coinage of silver. On September 4, 1897, the gold ball was torn down, and replaced by a silver one.
Johnson County’s most famous resident is not a man or a woman, but a dog named Old Drum, who was wrongly accused as a sheep-killer by his owner’s neighbor and was shot and killed. If Charles Burden had not loved his favorite hunting dog as he did, the unusual trial of Burden vs. Hornsby would never have occurred and George Graham Vest would never have had the opportunity to make his classic eulogy to all dogs. A statue of the infamous hound, along with the moving speech, stands immortalized on the Courthouse Square. To this day, over one hundred years after the fact, the statue and the story behind it still bring visitors from across the country.
Video with words of the infamous speech Senator George Vest made entitled:
"A Tribute to a Dog"
A figure of Minerva stands, goddess of Wisdom, or a figure of Liberty. She stands, holding a spear in her proper right hand and a sword in her proper left hand. She has a crown on her head, her long hair is swept away from her face and she wears sleeveless, classical robes, decorated with a geometric border. The sculpture is mounted on the courthouse dome." ~ Smithsonian American At Museum
Over the years, the statue suffered damage from exposure to the elements and from a bullet. In August 1995, the sculpture underwent restoration, in conjunction with repairs to the courthouse roof and tower. A light was removed from the top of Minerva's head and the staff in her proper right hand was turned into a spear. Jim Myers (a sculptor) was responsible for the reconstruction. He was assisted by J. C. Carter, who sandblasted the sculpture, and Richard Adams, of Adams Welding and Manufacturing, who did the welding and helped reinforce the base. In addition, sections of the sculpture were bolted together, rivets were put into the sword, the inside support was repaired and some areas filled. The old paint was removed and the sculpture was epoxied, and painted with automotive paint and clear sealant.:
~ Smithsonian American Art Museum
All above information was obtained from the website.